Monday, January 20, 2014

How To Grow Your Team

As a business building consultant, you will need to build and train a team.  This starts by enrolling
consultants.  You will never earn full time income without a hard working team. (and ps...I am SO grateful for my team!  That means YOU!)  So, take a deep breath and realize that enrolling consultants needs to be part of your business plan.  But don't stress too much!  I'm here to help!

I Struggled

I struggled with enrolling consultants for a L-O-N-G time! Seriously. It was SUPER hard for me.

The first consultant I enrolled (after I'd been a consultant myself for over 6 months) was a corporate lead.  I was so nervous to call him!  My hands were shaking so bad I could barely hold the phone and I actually threw up.  I locked myself in my bathroom in my bedroom (yes, behind two locked doors) and turned a movie on for my kids.  I sat in the bathroom (after throwing up) for 30 minutes before I called him.   So, to say I REALLY struggled is an understatement.

I remember telling Chad and Rachel that I would never have a team or real income from this business because I just couldn't enroll consultants. I even spent $800 on a "Stay at Home Business Expo" trying to find consultants. Most people there with a MLM company enrolled 10-15 people. I enrolled none.

So, I get it.  I do.  I know how hard and scary it can be.  But eventually, the more I did it (or tried to do it), the easier it got.

I Improved

Eventually, I improved!  You can too!  Anyone can do this.

After 3 1/2 years of working at it, I now enroll far above the company average.  I typically enroll about 4 new consultants each month.  I've learned a few things about enrolling and sharing the opportunity that I'd like to share with you.   I hope you find them helpful and that they spare you some of the pain and fear I felt during my first 6 months as a consultant.


 

1.  Just DO IT!

Even if you are afraid or unsure, just TRY ANYWAY.  You will naturally learn all the things I did if you commit now to never giving up.  I really felt like it would never happen for me.  I was SO far below average and I just didn't see how I would ever, ever catch up.  But, I'm not a quitter and I was determined to make this work for me.  Decide the same thing right now.  Keep trying, never give up.  This can work for you!  Just DO IT.  

 

 

2.   Learn to Love the Opportunity As Much As You Do the Food

You can't sincerely share something you don't understand and don't love.  Selling the food came much more naturally for me because I'd had personal experiences with it.  I knew it had helped my family and that it could help others.  I was able to speak about it with passion and enthusiasm and without guile.  When I talked about the food, I wasn't selling, I was sharing.

Well, do the same with the opportunity.  Learn all you can about it!  Use the commission calculator. 
KNOW what makes this opportunity unique and different from all others.  When you are truly and sincerely passionate, that comes across!  You will be able to share the opportunity instead of selling it.  I've written a few FAQs about the opportunity on my website.  You can find them by clicking here: Is Becoming a THRIVE Life Consultant Right For Me?

3.  Change Your Paradigm

When you talk to others about becoming a consultant, what is your paradigm?  Are you asking them to do you a favor or offering to do them one? 

When I first started, this is the conversation I would have with potential consultants at my classes:
  • Me (outloud): "Have you thought about becoming a consultant?
  • Me (in my head): "Because I REALLY need someone to join my team.  I just won't ever be successful unless people start joining my team."
  • Them: "Not really, I'm kind busy."
    Me (out loud): "Well, it really is a great opportunity.  It is worth the time."
    Me (in my head): "And if you join, then I can finally spend a little less time....."
  • Them: "Well, send me some info.  I will think about it.  But I really don't have a lot of time"
  • Me (outloud):  "No problem!  It will work out.  I'll send some stuff later tonight."
    Me (in my head):  "Oh, please, please read it.  PLEASE join my team.  Even if it doesn't work out, at least I will be able to say I've enrolled someone!"
I was so focused on my own needs that I couldn't even really hear theirs!  I was SO selfish!  I was begging them to join my team because I needed it.  I was asking them to do me a favor.  And even if I didn't say that outloud, they could feel it.  And becoming a consultant felt like a burden to them....just one more thing to add to their to do list.


Eventually, as I worked on #2 (above), I began to see that being a consultant really would benefit them.  My paradigm changed.  My heart changed.  I realized that I had something amazing to offer to them and that by offering to help them get started and train them, I truly was doing them a favor.  I would NEVER earn full time income from any one consultant that I enrolled (I'd have to enroll lots and lots to reach full time income), but every consultant I enrolled was being given the opportunity to earn full time income without years of a college education or time spent climbing the corporate ladder.  They could be successful on their own terms and time table.  What a GIFT!  I wanted to give that gift to other people.  Suddenly, it felt selfish NOT to.


4.  Keep Your Classes Simple!

If you make being a consultant look like a LOT of work, people will be a bit more wary of adding it to their already busy life.  But if you make it look simple, fun and easy, people will be more open to the idea.

My first few classes were HUGE!  I would make 6-8 different items, bring 4-5 bags of stuff, loads of paperwork and then spend an hour or more talking.  I just wanted to do a good (and very thorough) job, but all I really did was exhaust myself and scare of potential consultants!

Bring a pre-made dessert to your class.  Bring some dry sample.  And make one item in front of them.  Don't bring every paper for every person.  Bring a few in folders or binders and then just have one copy of everything else for people to share.  Don't bring more supplies than you can carry in one trip.  Keep your presentation to 30 minutes or less (I now shoot for 20 minutes).


5.  Don't Rush....Listen


People respond to those they connect with.  And connections take time.  Resolve to spend 10-15 minutes one-on-one with at least 2 or 3 guest after each party.   Or if you are calling someone / following up, realize that it won't be a quick phone call.  Be prepared to invest some time.  Make eye contact, be sincere, listen to them take your time and allow them to take theirs...don't rush.

Ask open questions (no yes or no question) of them and find out what is missing in their life that the Thrive Life business opportunity might fill / answer. Are they lonely? Unfulfilled? Stressed about money? Worried about retirement?  Wanting to quit a part time job b/c they are spending too much time away from their kids?  Worried about how to provide for an ailing parent?  Etc etc. LISTEN, then fulfill the need by telling them how the opportunity could work in THEIR situation.

A question to avoid is "What questions did you have?"  A GREAT one to ask instead is "What interests you most about the business opportunity?"



6.  Give Positive Feedback

Once you've listened, (really listened), tell them why you think they'd make a great consultant.
 "You know, you'd really make a great consultant b/c you ____________________"
or....

I really think this business opportunity would work in your life b/c_________________"
Be 100% honest.  Do not tell them something you don't actually believe.  But find something positive to say.

 

7.  Ask Them to Commit

Ask them to commit to SOMETHING even if they won't commit to becoming a consultant right then and there.
  • "Will you enroll on my team tonight?" "
  • "Will you make a list of questions you have about the opportunity and get it to me by tomorrow? 
  • "Will you come to a party I'm having next week so you can see just what I do as a consultant?"

 

8.  FOLLOWUP! 

 Followup with their commitment within 48 hours.  If they still won't commit to becoming a consultant, don't give up!  I have a HUGE list of "cold" consultant leads.  I contact them every 4-6 weeks or so.  I let them know if there is a sign up special (one offered by corporate or one I create myself).  I tell them about new products or new tools that corporate has created for us.  I tell them about Convention and invite them to come.  I usually have one person from my "cold" list join my team every other month or so.  Remember, most "No's" are really just "Not Now's."  Sometimes people just need time!  Be patient and don't give up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions about the info above? Leave a comment here! I will respond asap and that way anyone else who has the same question you do will be able to see the answer!