Monday, December 12, 2011

Top 10 of "successful" consultants


Are you successful in this business?  I hope you see yourself that way! 



I want to define what I personally see "success" as.  I believe you are successful in this business if two things are happening (at least this is how I define my own "success")
  1. My income grows each month.  This month's income is more than last month's income.  This is a general rule.  Sometimes I might take a dip one month and then catch up the next, but in general my income is growing.  It might be a slow growth, but as long as it is growing, I'm happy with that. 
  2. I feel balanced and happy.  I typically enjoy "working."  My family and other responsibilities are not neglected.  I have time for "me."  Again, this is a general rule as sometimes I have to do things in this business that I don't love, and sometimes it takes on a heavier role as I work on a large project or get caught up from vacation, but in general, if I'm enjoying it and my family / kids have the attention they need from me, then I'm happy with that.
Others may define success differently, but that is "success" for me.  As long as those two things are happening, then I will continue with this business and will eventually meet my goals of paying off our student loans and buying a home.

Now, on to the common characteristics I see in those who are "successful" on my team according to the above definition. 

1.  Successful consultants hold their first party /event within weeks of enrolling.
And they continue to hold parties / events regularly after that. Even those with large Q customer bases still hold parties (though not as often as at first). Events and parties are your lifeline in this business.  Even though I personally still do the majority of my selling online, I have found I am more successful when I'm also holding parties regularly.  These consultants find creative ways create new party leads.  They think outside of the box when it comes to "events" and find new, fun and innovative ways to introduce these products to a large variety of people.


2.  Successful consultants consistently dedicate time to their business each and every week.
I have successful consultants who only invest 5-10 hours / week, but they do it every week without fail. Their growth is slower than those who are able to invest 30 hours / week, but they still grow.  It is the consistency that counts.  If these consultants don't have enough parties / events to fill the time they have committed to their business one week, they still spend the same amount of time on their business.  They do other things: study,  listen to past trainings, practice cooking with THRIVE, read up on the emergency supplies, network, call old leads, create new leads etc. 

3.  Successful consultants have a "why" which creates a positive attitude & find creative solutions to problems
Motivation can be a hard thing to keep!  Really know why you are invested in this business will keep you motivated when it isn't easy.  Not quite sure what I mean my "why?"  Here is "why" I'm invested in this business: I want to be able to pay back my husband's student loans and buy a home before my children are much older.  I want to be able to do this from home as my own boss so that I can fit it around my kid's schedule / needs instead of the other way around.  I also want to do this while helping others instead of just selling any old product.  Being a Shelf Reliance consultant fits the bill perfectly.  I am motivated to work hard at it b/c it fulfills my "why."
Consultants who've established this "why," are better able to stay focused on the positive and create solutions to problems.  Every single consultant on my team (well at least those that communicate with me) has told me at one point (and often many times) that they feel "unsuccessful" and like they have hit a wall for one reason or another.  Maybe they've run out of leads.  Maybe all the leads they thought would be interested aren't.  Maybe their party sales are far lower than they'd hoped.  Those that are successful & able to continue to grow their businesses see these things as challenges instead of dead ends b/c they are motivated by their "why."  So, they find positive solutions to get past that wall.  They realize that they can't keep doing what they've been doing and expect different results so they find a different way of doing things and create new (and better) results.  Often they do this by being willing to ask for advice from me or other consultants. 



4.  Successful consultants make personal contact
I've had to learn this one the hard way.  It is SO hard for me to call people on the phone or visit them personally.  In fact, I'm still working on this!  But those who consistently make personal face to face or at least voice to voice contact with their customers and downline find that their customers and downline respond much better than if they communicate by email / facebook etc.


5.  Successful consultants set goals
If you don't know where you want to be, you will not get there.  You have to know not only what you hope to get out of this business, but have a plan of how you will get there.  Having goals gives you something concrete to work toward.  Even small goals can make a HUGE difference.  One of my early goals was to contact 3 new people a week about Shelf Reliance.  It was small, but it kept me motivated and creative.  I had to find news ways of talking to people, and think of new people to talk to. 

6.  Successful consultants spend time gaining knowledge

Knowledge is a HUGE key to success in this business.  Gaining knowledge gives you self confidence which allows you to talk to more people.  And to be successful, you MUST talk to people.  It also encourages those you talk with to trust you and be loyal to you.  Just today, I asked a customer if she would be willing to purchase from someone in my downline instead of me and she said she'd rather purchase through me because I could answer more of her questions. 

7.  Successful consultants are more concerned about others than their own success
If the main thing on your mind during a party / event or conversation with a potential customer / host / consultant is how their purchase / enrollment can benefit YOU, success will be a struggle.  There are two reasons for this: (1) that person will sense that attitude / feeling, and (2) you will struggle to really see how these products / opportunities can help them specifically.  If you can't see that, you won't be able to help them see it and you will lose lost of sales, potential team members.  So, focus on others.  Ask LOTS and LOTS of questions.  Chances are you have a product / opportunity that may help them in one way or another, but you need to get to know them so you can find out which one.  Don't just tell them about everything / anything you offer.  Don't tell them why you purchase / joined.  Find out what they need and focus on that.

8.  Successful consultants sell the business opportunity
You are selling self reliance, peace of mind, convenience, and a lifestyle.  THRIVE can provide those things.  Food storage is a great way to be more self reliant and bring peace of mind.  It is easy to use and provides a healthy, convenient option for people to feed their families well and still maintain their busy lifestyle.
But don't forget that the business opportunity provides those things as well.  What better way to be self reliant than to generate your own income on your own terms / hours?  What better peace of mind than to know that you can provide your next paycheck with no worries about being laid off / let go?  What better, more convenient lifestyle can you ask for than working your own hours / taking vacation when you want to?
You will not grow your income very long if all you do is sell THRIVE.  For serious income growth / long term income potential, be sure you let others hear about the business opportunity as well.  If you need more convincing, listen to the "Developing your Team" corporate conference call in the back office.  (it is there, just keep listening.  It doesn't start until about 18-20 minutes in)

9.  Successful consultants followup
This has been another very difficult one for me to learn.  Followup with everyone.  Don't assume anything.  Followup until people actually give you an answer.  Now, I don't mean cold contact people until they give you an answer.  But for those who have expressed interest, don't assume the answer is no until they say it is.  If someone mentions being interested in hosting a party, followup until they set a date or tell you "no thanks."  I used to see this a "pushy," but have found in our busy world that just isn't so.  People who say they are interested usually really are, they just got busy.  I can't count the number of times I've sat around biting my nails over not wanting to follow up with someone only to have them say "Thanks SO MUCH for calling me.  I kept meaning to get back to you." when I finally made the call.  Almost everyone one of my party sales, party bookings, and consultant signups has come during a "followup" phone call, and sometimes during the 2nd or 3rd call.

10. Successful consultants quickly expand outside their circle of friends
This business is not about those you know in your immediate circle of friends who live near you.  It is about who your friends know and who your friend's friends know.  It is about reaching people you've never even met and never thought you would.  One of your main goals at your events should be to book more events with people further outside your immediate circle of friends.  Find ways to hold long distance parties (let me know if you want more info about this), work to enroll consultants that live no where near you.  Expand, expand, expand.  You don't' want to sell to your family and friends forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions about the info above? Leave a comment here! I will respond asap and that way anyone else who has the same question you do will be able to see the answer!